Of course, the car is useful and often necessary. But when you factor in the social costs, its use is not always so responsible.
- 62% of all car trips in Brussels are less than 5 km.*
- 25% are even shorter than 1 km.*
- 48% of all car commuters are alone in the car.**
Taking the car is often a habit. Yet there are plenty of alternatives, and their selection is constantly increasing.
- Brussels has one of the most finely-meshed public transport networks in the country.
- The Brussels region invested almost €1 billion in public transport in 2021.
- In 2020, an additional 40 km of cycle paths were constructed.
- The choice of shared cars, bikes, scooters and e-scooters continues to grow.
Be sure to check what is the best combination for you! The SmartMove app is your best guide.
*Brussels Environment, Mobility
**Brussels Mobility, Good Move
Easily combine transport alternatives